Digital Platforms Help Attract New Customers During Holiday Week
November 30, 2018: Qurate Retail Group’s ‘third way to shop’ continued to resonate with customers during Thanksgiving Week and Cyber Monday (Nov. 19-26 – the “holiday week”), with strong increases in new customers and digital engagement at QVC US in particular.
Here’s a closer look at QVC US and HSN, aligned to the five priorities Qurate Retail is pursuing to continue to deepen the appeal these brands have among today’s consumers.
- Be the destination for product discovery
- At QVC, we attracted an all-time record of 142,000 new customers during the holiday week and also set a single-day record for new customers on Cyber Monday.
- On Wednesday, Nov. 21, we sold over 500 Primula Peak 20 oz. Insulated Tumblers per minute (packaged in a set of four).
- At HSN, we set a new record for Black Friday Today’s Special sales with our HP Streambook 2 Pack offering.
- Inspire shopping journeys spanning all media platforms customers use
- At QVC, we set an all-time record for digital sales during the holiday week.
- Cyber Monday set a new record for web sessions in a single day.
- At HSN, this was our best holiday week ever for mobile sales.
- Make digital marketing a powerhouse demand driver
- At HSN, we attracted a record number of new customers via Performance Marketing during the holiday week.
- At QVC US, Performance Marketing sales during the holiday week rose 19% over prior year, and the number of new customers attracted via Performance Marketing rose 41%.
- Extend the conversation through the power of social
- We continue to be pleased with the progress of Ellie Sugar and Fuss Beauty, our two beauty micro-brands, which are available via dedicated Facebook, Instagram and web pages and are powered by social media advertising alone. During the holiday week, we continued to adjust our strategy in real time, based on customer response. Products from tarte, Urban Decay, Too Faced, and IT Cosmetics resonated with customers.
- Enhance the service experience
- At QVC US, Facebook Messenger conversations rose nearly 160% during the holiday week, and live chats rose as well, as we increasingly engage customers via social platforms.
At zulily and our Cornerstone brands, holiday shoppers were also highly engaging with our offerings. Here are a few examples.
- zulily had its best performing toy sale in the company’s history on Black Friday.
- Year-to-date through Cyber Monday, sales driven by organic posts on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest are up more than 200% over the prior year.
- Ballard Designs
- Ballard Designs set a new one-day sales record on Cyber Monday, driven by the Tuscan Bookcase Collection, the Original Home Office Collection, and our Dayna Dining Chairs.
- For the holiday week, the number of new customers rose 24%, and mobile traffic rose 17%.
- Garnet Hill
- Garnet Hill achieved a double-digit increase in total customers for the holiday week, including a 25% increase in new customers.
- Mobile traffic rose 52% for the week.